Wednesday, March 17, 2010

And The Interns Are Fin, Meghann and Ammre

This is my own blackened and colored version. The color was just a quickie test. It needs to match the facing page. We won't choose actually color until the whole book is drawn. I was thinking that a purple/yellow/red combination like the book cover might also be good, so those who did that were more accurate to my style. I did want the organs filled in as they are important to the story. The girls have two hearts, three lungs, and one liver.

This was a hard decision. I made my choice based upon those who matched my own blackening style the closest. I also took accuracy of filling color into consideration. We don't want to have any white spots in the printed book, do we? I chose the top three: Meghann, Ammre and Fin. I asked them how many pieces they could do in one week. While Meghann was the most like my own in style, she is still in school and can only do 5 a week. Ammre had a computer accident and couldn't finish her second test. Ammre and Meghann will split the overflow. Chris and Mr. J had great color choices. Michael filled in color well. Kerrie, Lauren, and Kelly were also great. They were all just as good as those chosen, but the other three were faster getting their tests in. Meghann did hers in one night. All of the A girls: Ashleigh, Alexandra, and Annette did a good job, but they could have filled in the black shadows darker. Kudos to all! I'm sure that you will do well in your art careers. I'll keep every sample on file and if I get overloaded on future books you may hear from me. Thanks so much for your hard work! Cynthia
PS: Good news! My interns will get credited in the book - on the copyright page.
Here is the drawing that everyone was given to color in. As you can see from all of the tests, almost all of them look the same. That is because coloring isn't making art. It's assisting as a second set of hands.


Test by Meghann Pardee. Shading expert. Good color, perfect shading, good filling, and good questions.

Test by Ammre. Color expert. Good shading, great color, good filling.

Test by Fin. Filling expert. Best at filling, good color, decent shading (shading great on second test - a bit harsh here). He didn't fill the line on right as requested, but he did mention that he could remove it easily, if necessary.