Friday, September 03, 2010

Molly Crabapple Interviews Me For China Shop


I love China Shop's slogan. YOU BREAK IT, YOU BUY IT.

When I first met Cynthia von Buhler, I was topless and covered in white paint. As a cash strapped nineteen-year-old, I stumbled upon her ad on Craigslist hunting for human statues, and soon I was posing as Pauline Borghese at the most debauched absinthe ball of my life. In many ways, Cynthia von Buhler could be credited as setting me down the road of Professional Naked.

Raven haired von Buhler has had a career so broad, and glamorous, as to defy description. While von Buhler is best known as an award winning fine artist and illustrator, she has also danced in music videos as Bettie Page, ran experimental record labels, run galleries, and sold pieces of herself (literally) in a fine art vending machine that has toured the globe. Most recently, she’s been hard at work doing the art for Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley’s “Evelyn Evelyn” book project, as well as focusing on her own children’s book series “Who Will Bell the Cats?”

Von Buhler was kind enough to share insights on technique, career diversity, and how she came to live in a castle.
-Molly Crabapple

The article on China Shop can be found HERE.