Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Dodo Skeleton and A Letter To A Burglar

Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer gave me this beautiful reproduction Dodo skeleton for my birthday. I was instructed that I must use it in my art. I will.The letter behind the skeleton is also a reproduction.
It is a letter written by Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorne Clemens) to a prospective burglar. I bought it at The Mark Twain House. The letter explains that the house doesn't have anything of value to steal, but there are some kittens in a basket, and "if you want the basket, put the kittens in the brass thing." This is perfect for my house because I don't have any fancy electronics, jewels, etc., but I usually do have kittens in baskets. When I go away I usually leave the letter on display (see photo). Now that I have dogs I think that any burglars will be deterred by their racket.